Wednesday 1 October 2014

Entering the Chrome domain

This term, I have been experimenting with incorporating Google docs in my classroom. It has evolved to the point that I now share a document on a Sunday night, entitled Room 16 Self Managed Learning program.
It highlights any upcoming events for the week, any thing that might interrupt the usual timetable or any quirky days. - Talk like a pirate day and Odd shoe day proved popular!

As our confidence in using Google docs grew, we began to change it up a bit. Each reading group would have a link which took them to their text related reading tasks. 

Benefits: The kids have been really excited about the ability to keep a digital record of their learning. They show parents at home and even continue working on things out of school time.  (Now THAT's engagement!)
The learning programme is more transparent for the kids. The expectations are explicit and the accountability is there for them too.
Downsides: It's required a paradigm shift in the way I plan my classroom program. It's meant taking down barriers, such as teacher vs student speak; changing some of my routine in order to have it ready to launch on Sunday night (no exceptions!) 

Another benefit, and powerful opportunity arose when I was at home with my own sick child. Pinned to the couch, with her asleep, I surrounded myself with technology. IPad and laptop at the ready, I was reading through the kids google docs etc while they were working on them. I was able to leave feedback, comments, prompt kids who were procrastinating... the list went on. 
The kids were blown away by it. I was still 'in the loop' with the learning they were doing. It was effectively business as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment